AAUW Cinema Club is open to members and spouses or partners of members. We see a movie at the Alameda Theatre & Cineplex Sunday afternoon, followed by refreshments and conversation at Tucker’s Ice Cream or happy hour refreshments at Cinema Grill. We vote on the film to attend the week before, when the schedule comes out. To get on the email distribution to vote, contact Kevis Brownson, or use the form on the Activities Page . We meet at the Alameda Theatre October through June; summer events are sometimes scheduled at nearby East Bay theaters such as the Piedmont, the Grand Lake, or theaters in Berkeley.
Our group meets at 1:00 pm on the third Monday. We share enthusiasm and information about books we are currently reading. Join us to discover new authors and titles. Contact Kate Quick.
The Museum Group meets on the third Thursday of each month from September through June. We go to various museums in the Bay Area to see the latest art shows. Included most years are the de Young, Palace of the Legion of Honor, Cantor at Stanford, Asian Art, MOMA and Oakland Museums. The carpool meets at Ross’ parking lot at South Shore to leave at 9:30 a.m. sharp. We have lunch at the museum and return between 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. Interested persons may contact Judy Sparks, Barbara Ihling, or Marlis White.
Our group meets the fourth Tuesday of the month at 7:15 pm at members’ homes for book discussion and dessert, beginning our year in August. The last meeting of the year in June is a dinner where we select books for the following year. We read a mix of fiction and non-fiction.
Book selections for 2016-2017:
- Lady Susan (Love & Freindship) by Jane Austen (2016 film Love & Friendship) (August)
- The Taming of the Queen by Phillipa Gregory (September)
- A Hologram for the King by Dave Eggers (October)
- The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen (Pulitzer Prize) (November)
- No meeting (December)
- Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (2 meetings) (January)
- Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (author Pulitzer Prize for biography of Washington)(February)
- H is for Hawk by Helen McDonald (Samuel Johnson Prize) (March)
- The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George (April)
- The Girls by Emma Cline (debut novel) (May)
- Organizing meeting– pick books for 2017-2018
Contact person for the group is Cindy Silva.
Did you know that AAUW Alameda has a Facebook group page? You don’t have to be a member to join this open group. Here is the link to our Facebook address: AAUW Alameda Facebook