The Third Monday Book Club meets at 1:30pm on the third Monday of each month starting September 18th. Our group shares brief reviews of books members have recently read and we often swap books. Members take turns hosting and providing a dessert in their homes .
The Museum Group meets on the third Thursday of each month from September through June. We go to various museums in the Bay Area to see the latest art shows. Included most years are the de Young, Palace of the Legion of Honor, Cantor at Stanford, Asian Art, MOMA and Oakland Museums. The carpool meets at Ross’ parking lot at South Shore to leave at 9:30 a.m. sharp. We have lunch at the museum and return between 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. Interested persons may contact Judy Sparks, Barbara Ihling, or Marlis White.
Our group meets the fourth Tuesday of the month at 7:15 pm at members’ homes for book discussion and dessert, beginning our year in September. The last meeting of the year in June is a dinner where we select books for the following year. We read a mix of fiction and non-fiction. New members are welcome.
Book selections for 2017-2018:
- Sept 26th:: Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- Oct 24th:The underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead
- Nov 28th: 1984 by George Orwwell
- December – no meeting
- Jan 23rd: The Muralist by B. A. Shapiro
- Feb 27th: The Man in the Sharkskin Suit by Lucetta Lagnado
- Mar 27th: Shame by Salman Rushdie
- Apr 24th: A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
- May 22nd: Churchill and Orwell by Thomas E. Ricks.
Contact person for the group is Cindy Silva.
Did you know that AAUW Alameda has a Facebook group page? You don’t have to be a member to join this open group. Here is the link to our Facebook address: AAUW Alameda Facebook
Meetings are at 1 pm on the third Monday to discuss books we are currently
reading. Call Kate Quick for more information.