AFTERNOON BOOK CLUB
Our group meets at 1:00 pm on the third Monday. We share enthusiasm and information about books we are currently reading. Join us to discover new authors and titles. Contact Kate Quick.
Three tables of couples/partners evening party bridge meet monthly in homes, with times and dates determined by mutual consent. There is a printed schedule. Occasionally there are openings, which are filled from the substitute list. Contacts: Joyce Denyven.
SECOND TUESDAY BRIDGE
This is a set group of 8 who play bridge the second Tuesday of each month at 12:30 for dessert. It is contract bridge with Chicago scoring. Each year we contribute $12 per member to the Education Fund. The group is full at present but there is a list of substitutes which always needs members. Contact: Vicki Cuadra.
We meet the first Sunday of the month – October through August- at the Alameda Theatre for a matinee of a current movie, followed by coffee and conversation at a local cafe. At times we may have other events, including an Academy Awards watching party at a members home. For information, please contact Kevis Brownson.
ETHNIC DINING GROUP
If you enjoy trying new foods, socializing and cooking; this is your group!
Group members take turns hosting the event. We meet on the 3rd Saturday evening of the month. The host selects the theme, menu and recipes and distributes them to the members.
Spouses and significant others are welcome in the group
Interested? Contact Mark Hamilton.
EVENING BOOK CLUB
Our group meets the fourth Tuesday of the month at 7:15 pm at members’ homes for book discussion and dessert, beginning our year in August. The last meeting of the year in June is a dinner where we select books for the following year. We read a mix of fiction and non-fiction.
Book selections for 2016-2017:
- Lady Susan (Love & Freindship) by Jane Austen (2016 film Love & Friendship) (August)
- The Taming of the Queen by Phillipa Gregory (September)
- A Hologram for the King by Dave Eggers (October)
- The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen (Pulitzer Prize) (November)
- No meeting (December)
- Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (2 meetings) (January)
- Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow (author Pulitzer Prize for biography of Washington)(February)
- H is for Hawk by Helen McDonald (Samuel Johnson Prize) (March)
- The Girls by Emma Cline (debut novel) (April)
- The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George (May)
- Organizing meeting– pick books for 2017-2018
Contact person for the group is Cindy Silva.
The Museum Group meets every third Thursday of the month from September to June. We go to various places in the Bay Area to view the latest art shows, including the Palace of the Legion of Honor, The De Young in Golden Gate Park, the Cantor Art Center in Stanford, the Asian Art in San Francisco, and the Oakland Museum. The car pool meets at the South Shore Shopping center in Alameda and we leave there at 9:30am. Contact person for the group is Maggie Silva.